Tuesday, June 19, 2012

TO DO...

The checklist is so often touted as the ultimate form of accomplishment that is no wonder that moms, especially those of small children, feel so incurably UN-productive on a daily basis.

It is no wonder that when living by a checklist so many things are so blasted irritating! The unexpected breakdown. A spill. The child who is really tired, or even worse, sick. An overworked husband. Those things are such a hindrance to our day...because THIS was the day I was going to get something DONE!

I am just not going to get the shopping, the laundry, 6 miscellaneous craft projects, the dusting (dusting, what's that?), painting the stairwell, the scrapbook, the schlepping, the sweeping, the garden, the toilet scrubbing, the meal planning and cooking and eating and cleaning up after, ALL done today.

I may not get even one of them done.

I need a new list of accomplishments. Accomplishments that I, oh, actually care about in the long run. It is time to change the To Do list.

TO DO:
1. Take some deep breaths.
2. Soothe frazzled feelings.
3. Kiss owies.
4. Thank my overworked husband.
5. Hug my boys.
6. Squeeze my girls.
7. Be kind to a friend.
8. Laugh.
9. Encourage.
10. Be patient.

Check.

2 comments:

Nelson Nitwits said...

Very good post. What is dusting anyway? I just finished a visit with my parents and sister and came away thinking, "I should act like a grandmother more often". I think if I acted more like a grandmother focusing on the kids than a mother that's focusing on the to do's, I'd be more successful and satisfied in the long run.

wende said...

i love it!
i always say that the number one characteristic requirement of a stay at home mother is FLEXIBILITY. this because the day never, ever, no never turns out the way it is written in my planner or to do list. :) which is fine with me.