Thursday, May 12, 2011

Homemaking

Homemaking: The art of removing all evidence that anyone lives in your house.

I just did a crazy thing sitting here at my computer. I looked around the mess I'm sitting in and decided not to be annoyed by it.
I did that and I realized that it's not so bad to have all these little messes around me because it means that I have a family and we live here. Here are some things I see.

Emma's scriptures are on the couch from reading this morning.

The shipping box for the caterpillars we will be watching grow into butterflies.

The secret BBQ seasoning from our very good friends, the Hills.

The cooler from packing our lunch on Thursday when we went to Seattle to "Ride the Duck." A great time was had by all.

At least half a dozen various notes and crayon drawings done especially for Mom hung all over the place.

A set of unfinished Matroyshka dolls we will be painting, in which one is already stuck inside another from being put in upside down.

The phone off the hook from talking to friends.

Plastic Easter eggs. (Holy cow! What are those still doing out?)

Cub Scout uniform. (What good boys and great leaders there are in Scouts with Ethan.)

Jacob's Science Notebook. He's always pulling it out wanting to do the next thing.

Conference DVDs from Family Home Evening.

An overflowing library book bin. We have a great rolling crate for library books because we check out no less than 50 at a time.

Notebook paper on the floor with "I will not bicker with my brother" written on it 2o times.

A brush and hairspray from putting Emma's hair in a bun for ballet. Her recital's coming up soon.

The keyboard from doing piano lessons.

Grape stems (When did we have grapes?)

These aren't such bad things to have in my life.


"I don't want to drive up to the pearly gates in a shiny sports car, wearing beautifully, tailored clothes, my hair expertly coiffed, and with long, perfectly manicured fingernails.
I want to drive up in a station wagon that has mud on the wheels from taking kids to scout camp.
I want to be there with a smudge of peanut butter on my shirt from making sandwiches for a sick neighbors children.
I want to be there with a little dirt under my fingernails from helping to weed someone's garden.
I want to be there with children's sticky kisses on my cheeks and the tears of a friend on my shoulder.
I want the Lord to know I was really here and that I really lived."

"The grand and the simple. They are equally wonderful."

Marjorie Pay Hinckley

3 comments:

Nelson Nitwits said...

Wonderful. I should frame this entry and hang it on my wall as a reminder. Thank you!

The Andrew Family said...

I have quoted you for years. We were discussing the whole issue of mess vs. spotless house. One of the comments you made was, "Why do we want our house to look like we don't live here." Anyone who's sold a house knows the time and energy it takes to keep it spotless. Too many things are missed. I may just repost that quote by Sister Hinckley with a link to your post.

Also, I've never seen The Holiday but I couldn't agree with you more on The Proposal. And PLEASE let me get you started on Twilight. There were more books than just the first. We need more scripts.

debi said...

I am convinced after this post that we are 'soul sisters' twins and even errily in sinc!!! I love the writing! Not a writer my eye! You inspire me in the sweetest ways woman.