Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Boys' Brains

I love taking peeks inside my boys' minds. I like to see what's floating around in there. Correction: not much floats, more like darts and dives.

Ethan's brain is made up of hundreds of shiny filing cabinets teeming with manilla folders. Clearly labeled. No drawers are locked. Yet.

Ah yes, here is "Hullabaloo" right between "Dirty Socks" and "Things That Make Me Itch".

Sometimes, I find a file that is out place and I need to yank that sucker outta there and refile it, in spite of all his squirming. I'm his mother after all, it's my job. Sometimes, I find out he had it in the right place after all. I would have filed "Making Lily Laugh" at the end of the B's, but he was right, it really does belong after "Frogs".

Jake's mind still has a bit of the wreckage in there left over from being a four year old, but the thoughts are beginning to fall neatly into place. Caution is still required for the stray water balloon or spider crawling around where I least expect it. I could walk away from a stroll through his brain with singed fingers or maybe an ice cream sandwich. You never know.

It's an easy casual ride today. I wonder how I'll handle tomorrow when keys and passwords are required to check out just a single file only to find out it's encrypted.

I hope today lasts.

1 comment:

debi said...

early reading makes for life long license

beaut of a post